[LA.pm] Problem with FastCGI under Apache 2

Geoffrey Young geoff at modperlcookbook.org
Fri Feb 10 09:44:11 PST 2006

> With unsafe signals, if something makes existing database handles become
> invalid, we lose our currently executing pages and have the possibility
> of unhappy behaviour until the Apache child dies.  With safe signals we
> have a guaranteed site outage as requests pile up for mod_perl processes
> which are trying to figure out whether they have a database handle.

hopefully, you know that at least with mp1 you don't need to wait around for
the child to die for an unspecified amount of time by using
child_terminate(), which offers a graceful child exit.  mp2 offers similar
functionality but is far less graceful.

if you're using Apache::DBI this leveraging something like this

  http://www.modperlcookbook.org/code/ch04/Cookbook/DBIUtils.pm

might be of some help as well.

just fwiw.

--Geoff