[LA.pm] Problem with FastCGI under Apache 2

Loren Osborn lsosborn at dis-sol-inc.com
Thu Feb 9 12:59:29 PST 2006

We are having a serious problem with signals in FastCGI under Apache 2
and could use any assistance you could offer.  It appears that FastCGI
is attempting to shutdown a perl script that it's running by sending it
a SIGTERM, but the process is asleep and the signal is queued for when
the process is next awakened.  When FastCGI gets a request for a page of
the type that was sent the SIGTERM, it sees the process as still alive,
and sends it another request. The process is awakened, sees the SIGTERM,
and dies without providing a response to FastCGI.  FastCGI then produces
an error indicating that the script produced no output.

We do have one work around, but just discovered that this work around
does not always solve the problem.  The work around was, if the process
was asleep when the SIGTERM was received, then it answers one final
request before exiting.  We are finding issues, apparently, when the
process has been awakened after excessive periods of time.  (hours)

Any assistance you can offer is very much appreciated,

Thank you,

Loren Osborn

Lead Software Engineer

Dispensing Solutions Inc.