[LA.pm] hollywood.pm.org

Robin Rowe rower at movieeditor.com
Wed Feb 1 17:08:10 PST 2006

Just FYI, in case there are rumors going around about hollywood.pm.org.

I applied to pm.org to get hollywood.pm.org recently. That was initially
granted but quickly rescinded after Robert Spier's objection. According
to pm.org manager Dave Cross, having more than one Perl group in any
metropolitan area is against their policy. In rejecting my request for
hollywood.pm.org, Dave said that over a hundred Perl groups listed have
gone away due to lack of interest. He plainly doubted another group here
could be supported. When I pointed out that Los Angeles is a 465 square
mile area, Dave said that London is 600 square miles and served very
well by just one Perl group.

Before anyone here offers any suggestions, I'm not seeking advice how to
run my life. Dave Cross suggested I air any complaints I might have
about how la.pm.org is run, that is, become a critic. Many from
support at pm.org wrote me to suggest I should volunteer my time to work
for Robert, apparently in a belief that putting incompatible
personalities on the same team could result in harmony.

Nobody has time for critics and I certainly don't have time to be one. I
believe it's important to have like-minded people running a volunteer
organization. I'm not upset and have no reason to care what pm.org decided.

Cheers,

Robin