[LA.pm] LA.pm Tech Talk-09-06-06-Luke Kanies - Why You Should Use Ruby

Chris smawhoo at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 12:50:54 PDT 2006

I, probably like many of the members, can not
participate the talk. But can some one please give a
quick summary on,

"why should we use Rudy, or learn Rudy"?

Thanks.

--- Todd Cranston-Cuebas
<Todd.Cranston-Cuebas at Ticketmaster.com> wrote:

>  Time to stir things up at the LA.pm!
>
>  Luke Kanies will present...
>
>   Why You Should Use Ruby
> Plan to stay afterward to get a bite in a local
> restaurant.
>
> We have a special speaker this month! Luke Kanies
> stirred things up with a
> recent article (USENIX, April 2006) "Why You Should
> Use Ruby." With Luke's
> heavy experience in perl and recent work in Ruby,
> he's a great person to
> talk about what he sees as the strengths and
> weaknesses of both
> languages/platforms. Remember, this isn't a
> celebrity roast! It's an open
> discussion on our favorite language and a recent
> contender!
>
> Date / Time :
>  Wednesday, September 6th, 2006; 7:00 p.m. to 9:00
> p.m
> Luke has a very tight schedule
> and he's been nice enough to squeeze us in during a
> trip to LA so
> please arrive on time if possible.
>
> Location:
> Ticketmaster's Movie Theater
> 8800 W. Sunset Blvd.
> West Hollywood, CA 90069
>
> Practical information you should know....
>
> Please arrive a few minutes early if you can. I
> realize that traffic can be
> difficult in LA but we're going to start as close to
> 7:00 p.m. as possible.
> Ticketmaster is located on the southeast corner of
> Sunset Blvd. and Palm
> Avenue. At night, it is hard to see the 8800 number
> on our red brick
> building so be careful you don't drive past. Parking
> is off of Palm Avenue.
> Please see the map link below for our location. When
> you arrive, please pull
> into our parking structure below our building unless
> you like getting
> parking tickets ;)
>
> http://www.google.com/maps?f=q

<http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=8800+w.+sunset+blvd.+west+hollywood,

+ca&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=34.092934,-118.380542&spn=0.025482,0.054245>

<http://www.evite.com/app/publicUrl/tcc@ticketmaster.com/techtalk-090606>