[LA.pm] contrasting London and LA

Adam Pisoni apisoni at shopzilla.com
Thu Aug 17 11:18:03 PDT 2006

I gave up using knowledge of Perl as a filter for engineers a while
ago.    I found that the vast majority of people responding to our
add for Perl engineers did not have a firm enough grasp of OO
architecture and design.   So now I basically use general engineering
and OO proficiency as my main filter.  That said, people with a firm
grasp of OO often use Perl as a way of filtering out us.   Obviously
I have to tell them they will be learning and working with Perl.
Its hard to find people who are passionate about OO, but are also
interested in learning/using Perl.    The hardcore OO people moving
away from Java or C++ tend to be moving towards languages like Python
and Ruby.   I have no problem teaching someone Perl, but it takes far
to long to turn a functional programmer into an OO programmer.

Thanks,
Adam

On Aug 15, 2006, at 12:37 PM, Todd Cranston-Cuebas wrote:

> Nicholas,
>
> As an organization, Ticketmaster has supported the growth of
> engineers. We
> have a number of positions where people who are not "full-fledged"
> engineers
> can join the organization and get exposure to our development
> teams, QA
> groups, operations teams, etc. For instance, we have roles in our
> application support group where you get a birds-eye view of the
> systems and
> teams that come together to essentially become Ticketmaster.com. In
> this
> role, the app support engineer can build their perl skills writing
> utilities
> for their team while seeing how a very large, enterprise-wide
> system works.
> A junior engineer has to be willing to spend some time in this role
> to learn
> and grow and understand that they will not be heads down coding all
> day.
> They will be learning and supporting a mission-critical application.
>
> On the other hand, we do also bring in very bright junior engineers
> directly
> into our engineering teams. Typically, these associate-level
> engineers are
> really quite exceptional in terms of their drive, ambition, love of
> the
> technology as a whole, etc., but clearly may lack real-world work
> experience, skills, and knowledge. Basically, I do my best to keep
> my eyes
> out for talent that can be groomed into a solid engineer. Drive,
> ambition,
> and a proven ability to "create" through either open-source
> projects or even
> part-time employment during school, all help. In our case, being
> solid in
> perl is really a major plus. I can't always make these roles
> available, but
> we do our best to accommodate the available market (i.e., if
> someone is
> available with these basic traits, we'll do our best to make a role
> available).
>
> Todd

>>> Java/.Net with its many more  jobs will be much more attractive to