[LA.pm] contrasting London and LA

Todd Cranston-Cuebas Todd.Cranston-Cuebas at Ticketmaster.com
Tue Aug 15 12:37:55 PDT 2006

Nicholas,

As an organization, Ticketmaster has supported the growth of engineers. We
have a number of positions where people who are not "full-fledged" engineers
can join the organization and get exposure to our development teams, QA
groups, operations teams, etc. For instance, we have roles in our
application support group where you get a birds-eye view of the systems and
teams that come together to essentially become Ticketmaster.com. In this
role, the app support engineer can build their perl skills writing utilities
for their team while seeing how a very large, enterprise-wide system works.
A junior engineer has to be willing to spend some time in this role to learn
and grow and understand that they will not be heads down coding all day.
They will be learning and supporting a mission-critical application.

On the other hand, we do also bring in very bright junior engineers directly
into our engineering teams. Typically, these associate-level engineers are
really quite exceptional in terms of their drive, ambition, love of the
technology as a whole, etc., but clearly may lack real-world work
experience, skills, and knowledge. Basically, I do my best to keep my eyes
out for talent that can be groomed into a solid engineer. Drive, ambition,
and a proven ability to "create" through either open-source projects or even
part-time employment during school, all help. In our case, being solid in
perl is really a major plus. I can't always make these roles available, but
we do our best to accommodate the available market (i.e., if someone is
available with these basic traits, we'll do our best to make a role
available).

Todd