[LA.pm] contrasting London and LA

Peter Scott Peter at PSDT.com
Mon Aug 14 13:24:04 PDT 2006

At 01:17 PM 8/14/2006, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>Surely the adjustment will only happen if forces in favour of Perl increase
>relative to other languages?

Two words: Perl 6.

>Basically Perl has to be perceived as some
>combination of "more fun" and "more lucrative" than the average of the
>competition. And right now there's a general recruiting suck across the
>field, isn't there, rather than a particularly hard vacuum in the area of
>Perl?

Regardless of the general trend, there's a more pronounced, er,
suckiness, in the Perl arena.  Take a look at
http://www.google.com/trends?q=perl+programming%2Cpython+programming%2Cruby+programming&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all
.  The Perl line is going down while the Python line is level and the
Ruby line is coming up.  I think this is as close to unbiased empirical
industrywide data as we're going to get.
--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies