[LA.pm] contrasting London and LA

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Mon Aug 14 13:17:33 PDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 08:41:56AM -0700, Todd Cranston-Cuebas wrote:

> In terms of market forces, I think that there are a number of issues worth
> discussing. I hope that the local demand for perl engineers is enough to
> cause the much needed market shift (i.e., more people in the States learning
> perl on a very deep level). I'm concerned that other forces may counteract
> this adjustment including the fact that schools in the States push Java,
> python is becoming more popular as a general purpose scripting language, and
> other languages and frameworks (e.g., Ruby on Rails) are taking up the "I
> want to build a simple web site" position.

Surely the adjustment will only happen if forces in favour of Perl increase
relative to other languages? Basically Perl has to be perceived as some
combination of "more fun" and "more lucrative" than the average of the
competition. And right now there's a general recruiting suck across the
field, isn't there, rather than a particularly hard vacuum in the area of
Perl?

Nicholas Clark