[LA.pm] Wide character warnings from Test::Builder

Geoffrey Young geoff at modperlcookbook.org
Tue May 25 06:38:43 CDT 2004

> However, I'd really like to understand what's going on here.  There
> really shouldn't be any warning printed and I can't figure out what the
> funny business is that's going on inside Test::Builder.

it's not funny business, but rather the results from a typical use of warnings:

$ perl -e 'use warnings; print "\x{B514}\x{C790}\x{C778} \x{BA85}\x{D568}"'
Wide character in print at -e line 1.

no warnings qw(utf8) gets rid of it, but the warnings pragma isn't supposed
to work at a distance like we want it to.  you might try

  local $^W=0;

but that will suppress all warnings, not just the utf8 ones, which is kinda
against the point if you care about these kind of things.

--Geoff