[LA.pm] Wide character warnings from Test::Builder

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin at scaldeferri.com
Tue May 25 01:19:11 CDT 2004

On 24/05/2004, at 5:38 PM, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>> ok(1, $korean);
>>> =====================
>>

>>> Wide character in print at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/Test/Builder.pm line
>>> 894.
>>> ok 1 - 디자
>>

> no warnings qw(utf8);
>
> is supposed to suppress these kind of things, but I haven't gotten it
> work from afar using a similar setup.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't suppress that warning :-(

>> if you change that to
>>
>> ok(1, $korean, 'my korean test');
>
> whoops, that should be is() not ok().

It's true, I could just uri_escape the string in the test name and it
would actually be more meaningful to me than the korean characters.
However, I'd really like to understand what's going on here.  There
really shouldn't be any warning printed and I can't figure out what the
funny business is that's going on inside Test::Builder.

-kevin