[LA.pm] The odds of finger games

Erick Calder e at arix.com
Thu Mar 6 15:13:08 CST 2003

maybe I have the wrong impression about mailing lists but I tend to perceive
their power mostly in the ability to aggregate knowledge i.e. if someone has
a problem and someone else a solution, neither message may be of immediate
value to me but if I read them there are now 3 people smarter about the
problem instead of 2.

the case you describe is really more suitable for a bulletin board than a
mailing list.

so what I'm saying is that in most cases if people make a mistake in simply
replying, as opposed to replying to all, you want the mailing list to
benefit from the exchange as opposed to constantly branching off into
private conversations no one else benefits from.