LA.pm: What ever happend...

Abraham Ingersoll abe at dajoba.com
Mon Jul 22 18:32:12 CDT 2002

Why on earth anyone would want to come down here on a summer weekend and
flight against the raging tide of tourists seems unfathomable now that
I've lived here so long, but uhh ..

I offer up my building's roof. (It's boring as far as roofs go, but the
location is 'ight -- within view of the ocean/boardwalk/etc.) We had a 4th
of July BBQ up there that went well, and another neighbor's been having
live practice/concerts up there as of late too.

Nearby -- Venice breakwater (OK surfing in the morning before it gets
windy), newly revamped boardwalk, basketball courts, drum circle, roller
skating dance "thing", psuedo-skatepark (that's still in funding limbo),
muscle beach, paddle tennis courts, venice canals, nightlife (MDR/Venice
pier scene and SM Main St. is all close), etc.

We'd have 802.11b to my cablemodem whilst on the roof, and my studio
apartment/office has a couple of decent (quake-able?) workstations.

The biggest pain in the ass is parking (and traffic). The average all-day
parking spot runs about $15, maybe $20. If you get here before noon, you
*might* be able to find street parking. I hear rumors of a Venice Beach
parking shuttle every so often too..

I'd setup shop with a BBQ on the roof, leave the access doors to
the stairs duct-taped open and then folks could come and go as their
inebriated selves pleased.

Come to think of it .. if we did it at my place or nearby in Venice, I
could probably corral Greg, Joe, Barry and maybe a few other LA.pm
"lurkers" into making an appearance.

August 10 should work for me. I need to clear it with the building
manager, but that should be a cinch.

Anyone/everyone game?

Abe