LA.pm: new tlds (sorta)

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Thu Jul 26 05:10:18 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 04:55:10PM -0700, Samy Kamkar [CommPort5] exclaimed:
> check this out, http://www.new.net
> instead of getting the tlds registered through icann, they're making
> their own icann-type thing....

NO NO NO NO NO new.net is the fscking DEVIL. Please read the NANOG archives
on this subject at http://www.nanog.org. Multiple colliding fake root-zones
is a recipe for disaster (what if Bob has big.tech and somebody somewhere
else decides to register it themselves? without a single authoritative root,
you have complete chaos). new.net is a BAD idea, and the majority of clued
network operators, at least, have weighed in against it. It was started by a
marketing team that thought they had a clever idea, and made a slick pitch to
some VCs.

> so far they got a bunch of isps to support them, such as @home,
> earthlink, prodigy, and a few others

Not exactly ... they may have support, possibly, if they get their act
together, and most of the big players will only support new.net if others are
already on board. You also have the MAJOR difficulty of new.net only working
as a browser plugin (for windows, of course) that changes your system's DNS
settings (I don't like the idea of any web-based stuff changing my network
setup). The upshot is, as currently designed, new.net only gives 'new' TLDs
when you try to browse to them. Meaning you CANNOT SEND EMAIL to any of these
'new' TLDs. Since email is MUCH more prevalent, especially among new domain
speculators and vanity domain owners, than website hosting, this is a fatal
flaw.

> they have some neato tlds like .tech...(i almost had a few neat ones
> like compu.tech but while i was registering them they got registered by
> someone else ;-o )

I'm ALL in favor of new TLDs, and I can't decide whether ICANN or new.net is
less clueless, but neither of them are a good idea. :)
</rant>

--
Scott Francis                   darkuncle@ [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t
Systems/Network Manager          sfrancis@ [work:]         t o n o s . c o m