[Logan-pm] Website & Advertising

Phillip Hellewell sshock at sshock.net
Sun Feb 12 18:20:47 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:51:27AM -0700, david at davidscholes.com wrote:

> I'm really excited for Phillip's presentation in May on Asterisk.

Here's a teaser of cool benefits to get everyone excited!

* very inexpensive
* block unwanted callers
* record calls
* multiple phone lines
* custom caller ID
* music on hold
* hold, park, transfer, conference rooms, etc.
* built-in voicemail system
* forward calls to other phones
* make and receive calls from anywhere

You control how calls are handled via a "dialplan" config file.  You can extend
it with perl using the Asterisk AGI module, or even do arbitrary system calls.
You're pretty much only limited by your imagination.

Some cool hacks I have done that I'll tell more about at the meeting:
* Separate phone lines for my wife and I ("Press 1 for Tammy; press 2 for Phillip").
* Free phone calls by routing through Google Voice (but this doesn't work anymore).
* Map 411 to a free 411 service.
* Map 511 to a local road and weather service.
* Custom caller-id database of friends/family.
* Control my music server (MPD) via my phone.
* Call my phone to get Disneyland wait times.

I'll also explain common terms like VOIP, SIP, RTP, DID, CDR, CNAM, E911, etc.

Get a head start by reading this book:
http://www.asteriskdocs.org/

Phillip

--
Phillip Hellewell <sshock AT sshock.net>