LPM: Programming Perl 3rd Ed for cheap?

Joe Hourcle oneiros at dcr.net
Thu Oct 4 11:42:57 CDT 2001

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Matt Cashner wrote:
>

> > i'm going to say something really uncouth and probably heretical. but
> > since many of the elder gods of perl agree with me, i think i'm
> > justified.

> However, I can't honestly say that I have done more than glance through
> it. If I can be forgiven for name dropping, when I was talking with
> Larry at YAPC 2000 (ie, last year, not this year in Montreal) he was
> talking about one of his concerns about the new book, which he had at
> that point just finished the editing process on. That concern was that
> it talked a great deal about things that had actually not yet been
> implemented, and hopefully would be implemented in 5.6 (was 5.6 out by
> then? I don't remember.)

Well, I know I was the first one in my office to manage to get the Camel 3
book, and by then, 5.6 was out.  I'd assume that the book went to press a
month or so earlier, as there would have been press time, binding and
distribution before it actually hit the shelves.

Oh...and there are a few useful new items which were implemented in 5.6
which are in the book, such as casting variables as global with 'our' and
the three argument open.

I would be useful to know what stuff hasn't been implemented, however, so
I don't try to use something and spend too much time debugging.

-----
Joe Hourcle