LPM: Programming Perl 3rd Ed for cheap?

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Wed Oct 3 20:04:28 CDT 2001

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Matt Cashner wrote:

> i'm going to say something really uncouth and probably heretical. but
> since many of the elder gods of perl agree with me, i think i'm
> justified.
>
> for god's sake do not buy camel3.

I was fortunate enough to get a free copy from O'Reilly, which was very
nice. (free books)++

However, I can't honestly say that I have done more than glance through
it. If I can be forgiven for name dropping, when I was talking with
Larry at YAPC 2000 (ie, last year, not this year in Montreal) he was
talking about one of his concerns about the new book, which he had at
that point just finished the editing process on. That concern was that
it talked a great deal about things that had actually not yet been
implemented, and hopefully would be implemented in 5.6 (was 5.6 out by
then? I don't remember.)

Of course, shortly after that came the fabled meeting of the coffee
cups, and Perl 6, and many of those things just never happened. So, as
Matt says, not only was a lot of the stuff in Camel3 wishful fiction,
but they were very very aware of that fact when it went to press.

Rich Bowen - rbowen at rcbowen.com
http://geeks.cre8tivegroup.com/  --- Work
http://www.rcbowen.com/ --- Play