LPM: using CPAN behind a firewall

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Thu Mar 15 20:55:02 CST 2001

Wesley Sheldahl wrote:

> I just started a contract at Lexmark, and am having trouble getting `perl
> -MCPAN -e shell` to work from behind their firewall.  IE and Netscape work
> as long as they're pointed to the proxy server, but setting my "http_proxy"
> and "ftp_proxy" environment variables to the same name, or equiv. IP
> address, doesn't seem to help CPAN find any of its servers.  Any ideas?
> Anyone know of of a CPAN mirror behind the firewall?  (Of course I can use
> a browser to download modules over the web one at a time and install
> manually, but that seems last-resortish now...)

My first recommendation would be to set up your own CPAN mirror on your
desktop machine. You're running Linux on a machine there, right? CPAN is
just over 700MB right now, and if you're a little more selective - leave
off the ports directory, for example - can be a lot smaller. Then you
have speed and uninhibited access. Although I would be a little suprised
if noone else in Lexmark has already done that. Just idle speculation,
of course ...

--
Rich Bowen <rbowen at rcbowen.com>
Come see me at Apachecon! -- http://www.apachecon.com/