LPM: using CPAN behind a firewall

Matt Cashner sungo at qx.net
Thu Mar 15 17:41:30 CST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Wesley Sheldahl wrote:

> I just started a contract at Lexmark, and am having trouble getting `perl
> -MCPAN -e shell` to work from behind their firewall.  IE and Netscape work
> as long as they're pointed to the proxy server, but setting my "http_proxy"
> and "ftp_proxy" environment variables to the same name, or equiv. IP
> address, doesn't seem to help CPAN find any of its servers.  Any ideas?
> Anyone know of of a CPAN mirror behind the firewall?  (Of course I can use
> a browser to download modules over the web one at a time and install
> manually, but that seems last-resortish now...)

tis probably having passive ftp problems  OR  your ftp proxy is actually
doing ftp-over-http (iow, giving your client http as a result of an ftp
transaction because it assumes you're a browser [asbury has this
problem]).  first problem can be solved by telling LWP and Net::FTP that
you want passive ftp used. iirc, export PASSIVE_FTP = 1 will do that for
you.   second problem cant really be fixed. but you can try and find an
http accessible cpan mirror (if you cant find one, we can expose ours to
the world via http; let me know).

my .02$US

m.