LPM: Roll call ...

Aaron B. Dossett aarond at ewl.uky.edu
Mon Apr 19 16:57:43 CDT 1999

> I'd really like to know how people are using Perl in their work. I'd
> also really like to know the general attitude of management towards Perl
> - whether it is accepted as a 'real' programming language, whether
> people actually know that you are running business-critical processes on
> Perl, stuff like that.

I don't use Perl all that much at my current job, just some miscellaneous
text-file ripping (as someone else described it).  That usually works pretty
well (of course), and the ease of which I can do it impresses the heck out
of my non-Perl programming coworkers.

I really cut my teeth at a co-op I had during college.  The group I worked with
supported a huge set of perl tools for the source control and build process
management for a large group of hardware developers.

> I would like to know a more about how people first "discovered" perl,
> how they developed and enhanced their proficiency, etc.

I picked up a copy of Learning Perl when I was bored one summer.  I played
with it a lot, but didn't really get into hardcore perl until the above
mentioned job.

-Aaron Dossett