[JaxPM] Group Project Annoucement

j proctor jproctor at oit.umass.edu
Tue May 1 10:12:55 CDT 2001

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er j proctor <jproctor at oit.umass.edu> wrote -

> 1)  Must be designed with Open Source in mind.
> 2)  Must be free of all copyrights and liens. (IE, if you're not willing to
> give it away - then you may not want to contribute - unless we are talking
> about YACDSC ???)

Amend to *external* copyrights and liens.  If we want to enforce any of
the open source or Free licenses, we have to retain the copyright.  Once
it's in the public domain, the license becomes irrelevant.

Damn.  Now I'm gonna have to go find what all the licenses mean again.
I've long since forgotten what the differences are between them.

> 3)  Must be interoperable with other delivery methods - Hmmm, the two major
> players are using IMS/XML to export their databases.  We shall see on that
> one...

Haven't explored that, but it sounds reasonable to me.  I don't have a
problem using XML as the native format, rather than inventing our own
file structure.  Now we just have to settle on a DTD.

> 4)  Should use SOAP to speak with other SOAP aware systems.

Agreed.  Which other SOAPy systems were you thinking of?

> 5) ...

  5)  Content delivery cannot rely on gratuitous, kludgy, crufty,
non-portable, or browser-mangling JavaScript/DHTML code.  XHTML 1.0
Transitional is sufficient for at least a 2 year timeframe.