[JaxPM] About Jax.PM, general discussion...

JONES, WILLIAM C wcjones at exchange.fccj.org
Thu Jul 12 06:00:30 CDT 2001

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er "JONES, WILLIAM C" <wcjones at exchange.fccj.org> wrote -

PPS - I don't think that 'guy' from Daytona ever actually joined the list
:/

Hmmm...  ORA has offered to help me with recruitment - what does the local
and non-local Jax.PM membership think?

ORA offers advertisement, no cost to Jax.PM, plus they will donate books and
what not - seems they have more or less taken over Perl.com (which Tom
Christiansen stated would happen in an e-mail to PM Group leaders a while
back) - now however, generally speaking, ORA feels that all the PM groups
are ORA-sponsered.

I have asked for clarification on this matter as I was under the impression
that each group was independently owned and operated, more like a mom-n-pop
franchise...

Also, I am in the process of moving CIS4DL to my own personal system.  After
a few months research - mainly reading and rereading the SF.Net legal stuff
(which is owned by VA Linux, in case you didn't know) - they have a serious
paragraph which says ' ... any code committed to SF.net will remain under
the then in effect license - only new commits will be published under any
project license changes ...'  Let's ignore the fact they state THEY own code
commits in conjunction with the developers and code authors - I cannot
stomach that.  I feel I own my work - if someone else finds it useful, then
great - if they don't, well then, they didn't pay for it - so tuf ...

I had hoped we (me really I guess) could generate development support for
this project - but since it is not totally Perl-centric (my own desire, to
embrace other OSD more holistically) I may have scared off any one on this
list -- from the view point that a few of you don't feel experienced enough
to participate - or a few believe since we are 'Perl Monger' we should

use Perl;

and nothing else.  I cannot, in good faith to the goal of such a project,
proceed with a narrow focus.

I welcome additional discussion on this matter.  In the absense of such - I
will move the project off SF.net and take it completely private (it sort of
was a day-dream/mare I had anyways - no sense in perpetuating a hopeless
cause  :)

It will still be an Open Source - Commercial Support Available - free
project (free in the sense of Free Beer:  You drink free at the party, but
may pay later in DUI charges or hang-over effects later on...)

Thx;
Sx :]