[pm-h] Looking for suggestions on new books

B. Estrade estrabd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:26:26 PST 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Zakariyya Mughal via Houston <
houston at pm.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Some folks keep asking me for recommendations, so I put together this
> list as a Gist on GitHub:
>
>   - <https://gist.github.com/zmughal/0364a8bfba8c9bb01f4a>
>
> As you might be able to tell, my interests are more towards statistics
> and signal processing, but I put some variety in there.
>
> I'm looking for more software engineering books and that Refactoring
> book has been on my list for a while.
>
> Does anyone know of any books that focus on testing?

   - Perl Testing: A Developer's Notebook
   - How Google Tests Software

> If there is anything specifically about testing numerical code, I'd love
> to know about it. I'm currently eyeing "Verification and Validation in
> Scientific Computing" by William L. Oberkampf and Christopher J. Roy.

Ah, this is more of an art than a science. You need validation output and
to test on a variety of architectures and levels of compiler optimizations.
You need to understand the inherent errors that come with the numerical
formulation. It helps to have explicit forms of the method to compare, etc.
I did this kind of work back in the early 2000s.  I know of no book,
though. I am sure if I had been aware of the one you mentioned above, I
would have gotten it.

Brett