[pm-h] Fwd: [New post] Why I finally joined Gittip and why you should, too

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Tue Mar 4 14:39:58 PST 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Mark Allen <mrallen1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Reini, I love you but I have no idea what any of this means except for the
> suggestion to use Wikipedia.
>
> I think what David's after vis a vis open source community and the
> prisoner's dilemma is why people in a community may or may not cooperate
> even if its in their best interest to do so.

I tried to explain the layman version a bit.

Well, the problem is that the iterated prisoners dilemma "proved" that
cooperation does not pay.
That was a pretty strong lemma and won several economic nobel prices,
not to speak about world-political influences, Reagan, Thatcher, Bush,
... you get the idea.

So any reference to the iterated prisoners dilemma is pessimistic.
"If you have a bad day the best thing to do is to hit on you."
"We block trolls" (poisoned communities) vs "We hug trolls" (Audrey Tang).

For later studies:
Latest improvements in game theory showed that entities which do
communicate in the neighborhood are not in this non-cooperative
neo-liberal tit-for-tat lockdown anymore. But the nobel prices for
this recent development are still outstanding. Two Austrians and one
US researcher are involved.
The name of "austrian economics" has also to be cleared from the
mishaps in the last century.