[pm-h] October Houston.pm Technical meeting

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Thu Sep 29 20:04:25 PDT 2011

Reini Urban has volunteered to present for the October meeting. The
topic is a basic introduction to the Perl compiler.

A number of you may not have been aware that Perl had a compiler. Most
people are content to use Perl in its normal compile/execute mode.
Because people had use cases that would benefit from building an
executable from their Perl code, a Perl compiler was built years ago.

Recently Reini has been taking the old compiler code and updating it to
support more current Perls.

In this talk, Reini will cover

* basic usage of the compiler and its current status
* the different "phases" of in the lifetime of Perl code
* some understanding of Perl OPs and what the compiler does with them

He will also answer questions like:

* How big will my compiled code be?
* What will the program include at compile-time, what is deferred to
  run-time?

This meeting will be more technical than usual, but it's a rare
opportunity to talk with someone who understands Perl's internals. You
really don't want to miss it.

As always, our meeting will begin around 7pm on the second Thursday of
the month, October 13. We will meet at the normal location, 3131 W.
Alabama.

Please let me know if you plan to attend, so I can be certain of the
food order.

I look forward to seeing you there.
Trying to outsmart a compiler defeats much of the purpose of using one.
                                 -- Brian Kernighan and P.J. Plauger