[pm-h] Group project

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Tue Oct 4 21:03:28 PDT 2011

Ben Thomas and I have been discussing an idea for an ongoing project
for the Houston.pm group, and I want to put the idea before the group
for consideration.

The Perl Cookbook is now 8 years old. Despite that fact, the recipes
and examples are still quite good. Unfortunately, some were written in
a style that is no longer considered best practice.

What if we began updating the recipes? Any given task is relatively
self-contained and understandable. One or more members of the group
could propose new solutions (or even complete new recipes) and, as a
group, we could refine them or just critique the recipes.

People who want to hone their skills (or know of a sweet solution to a
particular problem) can generate a recipe. Others can help refine the
results to be the best we can come up with. We could even keep the
recipes under version control, say at github.com, so that anyone has
the opportunity to modify the code.

Would we be interested in such a project?

This could also be an ongoing solution to the presentation problem. If
no one is willing to present, we could devote the meeting to a few
recipes. These would be "hands-on" or hack-a-thon type meetings, where
people could get input on their recipes or comment on the recipes of
others.

Let me know what you think.
G. Wade

PS. For those of you worried about the copyright issues, I'm in contact
with O'Reilly through our User Group contact. We're discussing how to
make this work.
--
They made a very satisfying thump when they hit the floor.
                            -- G'Kar - "A Late Delivery from Avalon"