[pm-h] January Meeting (shut up and code)

Todd Rinaldo toddr at null.net
Tue Jan 8 21:00:09 PST 2008

Robert, Wade, and I met downtown tonight.

We did an initial review of Net::Jabber::Bot. We discussed current projects
around and the possibility of using alternate perl jabber clients, but my
previous review of the Jabber::Lite revealed it to be incomplete, and
therefore not a good choice for long term use.

The first issue we decided to tackle was the 0% success rate of automated
tests on CPAN due to dependance on server availability to complete the
tests. After some discussion, we decided to make a slight alteration to the
module to allow one to feed in a client object, rather than only creating it
automajically via new. This will allow us to provide a "mock" object we can
use to test and validate functionality.

We've done some initial cleanup as a proof of concept for the mock approach.
There are 3 test files left to do the equivalent cleanup. When we're done,
there should be no server dependancies except for 1 test file requiring an
env variable to be set before it runs.

We have setup a google code project to track our progress. It was a quick
setup, considering we all had google accounts. If anyone has any interest,
please let us know and we'll set you up.

Todd

http://code.google.com/p/perl-net-jabber-bot

http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Net::Jabber::Bot