[Edinburgh-pm] F#

Hakim Cassimally hakim.cassimally at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 04:25:40 PST 2011

On 28 January 2011 12:14, Aaron Crane <perl at aaroncrane.co.uk> wrote:

> Andrew Smith <asmith9983 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Perl 6 [is] dead in water.
>
> That seems an odd way to describe a language whose specification is
> converging on a firm state, and whose most popular implementation is
> being worked on by a growing team of dedicated volunteers at
> ever-increasing velocity.
>
> Anyone who's decided that Perl 6 does not meet their needs is, of
> course, free to avoid using it.  But I think it's unreasonable to
> badmouth the efforts of those who are working on it.

I don't think that suggesting Perl 6 is irrelevant is equivalent
to badmouthing the excellent efforts of the volunteers working
on it.

Perl 6 has given us, among other things:

   * greater crossover between Perl and Haskell communities
   * some great innovations, many of which have been implemented in Perl 5

But it's also:

   * lost a lot of passion, interest, and face, by virtue of being so
   big, and so late.
   * I understand all the reasons it's so big, and so late, but the
    greatest emotion I feel when speaking about Perl 6 is usually
   irritation at having to be mocked about it by people outside of
   the Perl echo chamber.

When Perl 6 is released, how many companies will move their
codebase to Perl 6?
I think many of us are more likely to remain Perl 5 programmers
than become Perl 6 programmers, professionally.

(And I sometimes think, semi-seriously, that I'm more likely to
become a professional Haskell programmer than a Perl 6 one.
I suspect this shows up the extent of the problem ;-)

osf'