[Edinburgh-pm] Meeting time?

Murray perl at minty.org
Fri Feb 13 04:01:38 PST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:37:26AM +0000, David wrote:
> I'm working on organising the next Edinburgh PHP User Group (EdPUG) meeting,
> and I don't want our meeting time to conflict with yours, since there might be
> some cross interest between our two groups.

A-hoy PHP'er!

We've just adjusted our monthly meeting date to the 4th Thursday of the
month. (Previously 2nd Wed)

Thread here, which contains some other groups and their existing dates I
believe:

http://mail.pm.org/pipermail/edinburgh-pm/2009-January/thread.html

Our normal venue is the Guilford Arms.  I believe the priorties were (a)
serves proper ale reasonably well and (b) central and close to the
station.

I note that we are historically more about the social and have struggled
to actually hold a technical based meeting in recent memory.  I'm not
saying this is bad per se, simply that our venue choices aren't to date
motivated by somewhere a talk could be given.

I also note there is periodic talk of moving the venue, as more than one
person has said the guilford arms ain't great.  Much like many a pub
crawl however, once you're in the pub it's suprisingly hard to move on
to the next one.  I think we're struggling with consensus rather than a
lack of suggestions here.

In any event .. if talks are your thing, I note that the Film House have
oodles of space well suited to talks.  They have free wifi, although
they make you jump through stoopid hoops to get it, and although the
food ain't bad, it's perhaps a bit expensive for what you get.

And they won't allow you to plug in laptop power supplies (a problem the
cameo suffers from too along with lacking proper ale and food but do at
least provision wifi that doesn't suck so bad as to make you cry).

M.