[Dub-pm] Anyone going to the Irish Open Source Technology Conference?

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 04:09:13 PDT 2008

Quoting Drew Taylor <drew at drewtaylor.com>:

> I may be crazy, but I emailed the group owner this morning about
> restarting the group, possibly under my unexperienced leadership. :-)
> As many software shops as (I think) there are in greater Dublin, we
> should be able to find the core group of perl people.

That would be great. The current leader responded to the recent Perl
Mongers Census saying that the group was dead. It might be quiet, but
the mailing list gets occasional spurts of activity like this one, so
I don't think the group is dead.

> As for London.pm, if you judge solely by the number of postings on
> jobs.perl.org there seems to be a lot more perl developers in London
> than Dublin.

That's certainly true. But then a surprisingly small percentage of the
people on the london.pm mailing list seem to actually be in London :-)

>              Perhaps the folks here are just silently keeping the
> world turning.

I think many smaller groups find something similar. There _are_ Perl
programmers around but it's hard to track them down when they aren't
connected to the Perl community. As someone has already suggested,
talking to a local LUG is often a good start to getting your message
out there.

The nice people at pm.org are always happy to help in any way they can.

Cheers,

Dave...