[columbus.pm] next meeting

Ron Grabowski ronnie at catlover.com
Thu Mar 23 23:41:40 CST 2000

> hope you are all keeping your one-liners in mind,  I already have 2!!

I don't want to point out the obvious, but a good idea for a
presentation would be something on the command line parameters for Perl.
This could lead into GetOpt. I AM NOT VOLUNTEERING. I know close to
nothing about what I just suggested.

perldoc perlrun

Going over some ( useful ) one-liners would be nice too:

perl -wlpe '}$_=$.;{' file  # Count the number of lines in a file

It would be nice to see some sort of 'I have read perldoc and I still
don't understand how this function works' section. For example,
explaining map() or grep() to people who don't use them. Explaining the
differences between || and 'and'. ( Or in my case ) explaining how to
use pack() and unpack() ( I have no clue! ).

Meeting another Perl hacker in person is a perfect opportunity to get
away from the sometimes nasty atmosphere of c.l.p.m and certain mailing
lists (
http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/2000-03/msg00375.html
).

Oh, and someone should really ask Ilya Zakharevich to maybe give a talk
or attend a meeting. He is a math professor at OSU and has been doing
Perl for a long time ( 5+ years ). He's an active Perl-5-Porter and has
done a lot with the OS/2 port of Perl as well as general Perl patches (
he's credited with quite a few RE patches in 5.6 ). I've asked Perl
questions during his office hours :) and he really is a nice guy (
strong accent, but very smart! ).

My two cents,
Ron
To send mail to the Columbus.pm list send email to
columbus-pm-list at happyfunball.pm.org