[Chicago-talk] What's happening with Perl these days

Mike Fragassi mikefrag at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 08:36:40 PDT 2024

This seems more or less correct. My Perl activity at work has become
strictly maintenance of existing applications, including adding minor
features. We've moved to Python for all new work. A lot of it comes down to
that it used to be that all the new hires had at least passing experience
with Perl; but now, it's Python instead. Slow attrition has left us with
just 2 people at all comfortable with Perl, and I'm the only "expert".

Incidentally, I was helped *immensely* when my job, for a moment, was
willing to fund training; I jumped to take an in-person course from David
Beazley, a local who has written/co-written several Python books, including
O'Reilly's Python Cookbook. (His site is https://www.dabeaz.com/)

Speaking for myself, the one thing that Python has, that makes me actually
angry with Perl for missing, is built-in Exceptions. I will defend Perl's
honor that it was not 'line noise' to anyone who tosses out that old line,
but I never ever ever want to deal with "$@" again.

Perl 6 is now "Raku" since 2019, and it seems that existing under its own
"brand" is beneficial for both languages. It should have been done years
earlier.