[Chicago-talk] What's happening with Perl these days

Sean Blanton sean at blanton.com
Fri Apr 5 07:11:34 PDT 2024

Python has definitely become a lingua Franca dynamic language.  It’s
success is because for beginners, it’s a relatively straight forward
Engineering language.

I’m happy to be corrected, but Perl is based on natural languages. Like any
complex set of entities, as languages, I don’t think you can rank Python
and Perl relative to one another simply and hierarchically. Hard to justify
introducing Perl for major projects in a business environment though
because of the widespread adoption of Python. Perl6 was its own thing - not
necessarily intended to be a competitor to Python

Behind the initial appearance of simplicity in Python lies the same, if not
more hidden obscurity that was used to denigrate Perl over Python.

Perl still has its place. Linux has it all over the place and Git ships
with a Perl. It’s the preferred language for low level OS functions. I
associate Perl with brilliant, creative programmers rather than boring
engineers, reflecting the people I know in the Chicago PUG and YAPCs ��

Regards,
Sean

Sean Blanton
sean at blanton.com