[Chicago-talk] Which cgi-bin in Ubuntu?

Brian Katzung briank at kappacs.com
Thu Oct 14 05:37:46 PDT 2010

Like so many things, I think the answer is either one, depending on what
you want to accomplish.

I would say that, more often then not, my servers end up being some sort
of virtual host (either named or port-based). Therefore, my directory
structure is usually along the lines of:

/var/www/dom.ain.1/html/
/var/www/dom.ain.1/cgi/
/var/www/dom.ain.2/html/
/var/www/dom.ain.2/cgi/

This structure assumes that you will have different CGI
(application-specific) scripts for different domains. If this is at
least partially true, but you want to share some scripts across domains,
you can link to specific scripts (residing in /usr/lib/cgi-bin) from the
appropriate cgi sub-directory.

If the domain is going to *only* use common/shared CGI
(application-independent) scripts, you can skip the per-domain cgi
directory and just ScriptAlias cgi off to /usr/lib/cgi-bin.

If you need to use both models heavily, you might want to use separate
cgi paths in order to use both directories at the same time.

Another consideration is if there are some scripts in the
/usr/lib/cgi-bin collection that you do NOT want to make available, in
which case you are probably better going with the per-domain directory
with links to the scripts you want available.

Does that help you make an informed decision?

   - Brian

On 2010-10-13 22:14, Clyde Forrester wrote:
> I am about to attempt primitive web experiments with Perl, and I've
> hit a snag. I'm using Ubuntu Linux 9.10 and Apache2. The general area
> for the server is in /var/www/, but the cgi-bin directory is in
> /usr/lib/.
>
> The two recommendations I've found by Googling are: 1. edit
> /etc/apache2/httpd.conf, or 2. create a symlink.
>
> Does anyone here have any strong opinions on this matter? Casual
> guesses? Reasonable advice?
>
> Clyde

Brian Katzung, Kappa Computer Solutions, LLC
Leveraging UNIX, GNU/Linux, open source, and custom
software solutions for business and beyond
Phone: 877.367.8837 x1  http://www.kappacs.com