[Chicago-talk] system command to kill Xwindows session?

Jonathan Rockway jon-chicagotalk at jrock.us
Sat Mar 13 18:02:14 PST 2010

* On Thu, Mar 11 2010, Richard Reina wrote:
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> Thanks again for your suggestions.  I was reading up on Xvfb and I not
> sure I understand what it will and won't do.  What I need is to give a
> user working in console mode to the ability to view a multi-page tiff
> file and save it.  This is something I currently do in Xwindows using
> evince.  Will a Xvfb session allow for that?  If not is the code you
> included below a good way to go about something like that?

Nope, that's not what Xvfb will do.  Xvfb will act as an X server for
applications that don't need to display something or accept keyboard
input from the user.  If you actually want something to show up on the
screen, it's not the right solution.

So my question now is: Why is the user working at a console instead of
in an X session?  It is pretty strange to startup an entire X session
every time you need to view an image.  If you want to have a
command-line inside X, use xterm or equivalent.  Make it fill the screen
and pick a big font, and it will look exactly like the console.  Except
your program doesn't need to worry about starting X anymore.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway