[Chicago-talk] mkdir() question

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Dec 2 15:25:01 PST 2010

>>>>> "John" == John Kristoff <jtk at depaul.edu> writes:

John> I think you'll also need to make sure sudo doesn't have 'requiretty'
John> set, which is usually does by default.

Odd, in my version of "man sudoers", I see:

       requiretty      If set, sudo will only run when the user is logged in
                       to a real tty.  When this flag is set, sudo can only be
                       run from a login session and not via other means such
                       as cron(8) or cgi-bin scripts.  This flag is off by
                       default.

Where have you been where it's been on by default?

And in fact, it wasn't until I hit a system where I couldn't run "sudo
foo" in a script that I even knew that there *was* such a dainbramaged
option. :)

I mean, if you care about ttys, you use a password.  But a passwordless
sudo invocation should *not* ever need a tty.