[Chicago-talk] January 2009 Chicago.pm Meeting

Joshua McAdams joshua.mcadams at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 11:40:44 PST 2009

If you have trouble viewing or submitting this form, you can fill it out
online:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pOCmTCN6VWDa6dHIE4W9HEQ

January 2009 Chicago.pm Meeting

On January 27th we'll kick off the new year of Chicago.pm with a meeting
with not one, but two featured talks!

Jeremy Wall will be talking about development with CouchDB. He'll be
highlighting the differences between CouchDB and a traditional RDBMS.
During his talk you will see how to set up a CouchDB schema and write views
to retrieve data from the CouchDB Schema. He'll also share some of his
experience and point out some of the gotcha's you might encounter when
writing views. And of course, the Perl tie-in... Jeremy will show off his
CPAN Module for CouchDB.

For those who don't know, CouchDB, or more formally, Apache CouchDB, is a
free and open source document-oriented database written in the Erlang
programming language. It is designed for extreme scalability and is easily
deployed to multi-core or multi-server clusters.

We'll also hear from Andrew Dougherty, who will give us an update of his
FRDCSA project. FRDCSA is an advanced Artificial Intelligence created by
automatically scouring the web for advanced AI systems, retrieving and
packaging them for various operating systems, and finally building upon
these packages. Incidentally, many systems not considered to be AI are also
necessary as part of the operating system infrastructure.

There you have it... databases written in functional programming languages
and advanced topics in artificial analysis. If that's not enough technical
goodness to get you to brave the Chicago cold, I'm not sure what is. See
you on the 27th.

Meeting Details: