[Chicago-talk] humbling question

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Sep 19 09:32:15 PDT 2007

Jim> Terseness != clarity. I think this'd add work for the maintenance
Jim> programmer. Less time to add a new variable in two places than figure
Jim> out what this is, if they don't know.

Well, what you're up against is "repetition != clarity" either.
If I saw nine variable names, then repeated two lines later, I'd
not be sure without close scrutiny that those are the same names.

But with my construct, it's "don't repeat yourself", and it's very clear
that I'm creating these specific variables.

I might also put a comment there that says "declare and use the
variables".