[Chicago-talk] humbling question

Jim Thomason jim at jimandkoka.com
Wed Sep 19 09:18:07 PDT 2007

> As shown in one of my columns, I prefer not saying the same
> thing twice, resulting in:
>
>       $sth->bind_columns(\my($when, $wall, $bytes, $cpu))
>
> Consider me lazy.  Consider me trying to be nice to the maintenance programmer.

That's a peculiar looking construct to me, and I've been around perl
for an awfully awfully long time.  So I'd probably end up looking
around, figuring out what it means, thinking about it, and then
finally saying, "WTF didn't he just declare the variables on a
separate line?" Then I'd change it to read that way.

Terseness != clarity. I think this'd add work for the maintenance
programmer. Less time to add a new variable in two places than figure
out what this is, if they don't know.

-Jim....