[Chicago-talk] good DSL ISPs in the area?

Michael D. Stemle, Jr. manchicken at notsosoft.net
Wed Aug 1 13:00:47 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 01 August 2007 14:28:42 Tom Yarrish wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Lee Aylward wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have had about all I can take of Comcast's horrible support (e.g.
> > multiple
> > technicians telling me "there is no problem" while have 3000ms
> > pings to any
> > host). RCN doesn't service my area, Ukrainian Village, so I am
> > going to have
> > to go with DSL. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good DSL
> > provider?
> > Ideally I would like to find an ISP that doesn't treat me like an
> > idiot and
> > make me jump through 30 hoops to get someone to listen.
> >
> > I realize this is horribly off topic, but I just moved to Chicago
> > and none
> > of my friends can be of much help with this.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Lee Aylward
>
> While I don't have them anymore (distance to the CO was an issue for
> me), I had great service with Speakeasy.  I know a lot of people have
> recommended them.
> However, they did get bought by Best Buy a few months back, so I
> can't say how they are now.
>
> Tom

There's no such thing as good DSL.  Way too slow.  Though I suppose cable up
there isn't much better.  Suburban services may be different, I don't know.
I do know that the quality of service in the Chicago area varies greatly from
place to place.  I remember I was in a building in one part of the Hyde Park
neighborhood and there was no cable modem, and then I moved to another and
there was 8mbps cable modem.

Unfortunately, however, most DSL providers I know of require you to use the
only telephone company that has illegally shared customer information with
the feds (AT&T).  Hopefully I'm wrong about the AT&T requirement.

--
~ Michael D. Stemle, Jr. <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer