[Chicago-talk] CRON Jobs for the paranoid

Warren Smith warren at warrenandrachel.com
Wed Jan 26 14:07:34 PST 2005

Scenario A -- This is a desktop machine running X
Generally, X is run on display :0.0 of localhost. So, in your crontab
script, you can set DISPLAY=:0.0 and do things normally. However, with
most X distributions, local security is enabled, so you would have to
run xhost +localhost when you start X -- either by configuring your
desktop environment or putting it in .Xsession.

Scenario B -- This is a server machine without X
If you are the sole user, you can have your crontab script execute wall,
which will broadcast a message to all users. Otherwise, you can use
write to accomplish amore directed approach, but write gets confused if
you are logged in more than once.