[Chicago-talk] Getting compile options from old perl install & other admin questions

Scott T. Hildreth shild at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 16 10:38:38 CDT 2004

The auto-config is pretty good now.  I like to put a new version
of Perl in a dir, '/usr/local/perl-5.8.5', then I have a script
which configs CPAN and installs all the modules that I need/want.
I run some tests, if the new Perl install is working okay, I have
a symlink /usr/local/perl which points to the version I want to use.
If something is wrong I can always point /usr/local/perl back to the
older install.  This works really well, for me at least, at work.  I
can have the other developers test production code in without affecting
production.  As far as compiling, I let Perl config,

sh Configure -de -Dprefix=/usr/local/perl-5.8.x

..not that you care how I install Perl, just thought I would share. :-)

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 09:15, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to install 5.8.5 on my system.
>
> - How do I extract the compile options from my system version, to use
> when I build from source?  I don't know if perl -V tells me everything
>
> - How do I make it so that after this install, then when I have to
> install the next version, I don't have to reinstall every module from
> CPAN?  Since the perl path is, after installing 5.8.5 is:
>
>  >     /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i686-linux
>  >     /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5
>  >     /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i686-linux
>  >     /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5
>  >     /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl

   I'm pretty sure that perl will include other 5.* in the
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site/ dir.