[Chicago-talk] Getting compile options from old perl install & other admin questions

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Sat Oct 16 09:15:33 CDT 2004

Hi,

I want to install 5.8.5 on my system.

- How do I extract the compile options from my system version, to use
when I build from source?  I don't know if perl -V tells me everything

- How do I make it so that after this install, then when I have to
install the next version, I don't have to reinstall every module from
CPAN?  Since the perl path is, after installing 5.8.5 is:

 >     /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i686-linux
 >     /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5
 >     /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i686-linux
 >     /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5
 >     /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl

ie everything has 5.8.5 in the path, when I install 5.8.x it will not
find all the packages I've download from CPAN

Thanks
Jay