[Chicago-talk] Two positions for Perl programmers in McHenry, IL

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Thu Jun 10 11:40:22 CDT 2004

Here are two positions that have just opened up at my company, Follett
Library Resources.  This ad will appear in the Sunday Tribune, but
Chicago PMers get to see it first!

Please follow the directions in the ad.  I can answer questions, but
any resumes sent to this address will be deleted.

Thanks,
Andy

Follett Library Resources, the leading distributor of books and other
media to school libraries around the world, has immediate openings for
an Application Programmer and a Senior Programmer. As our tremendous
success continues, driven by our innovative website, we are seeking two
smart, curious, positive professionals to do great things in our web
programming department.

We use PHP and Perl for a 3-tier application running on Apache on
Linux, with Oracle on Solaris as the backend. We take life-long learning
seriously, and always look for new technologies to play with. Our rapid
growth guarantees you will not be bored.  We are agile, productive,
and quickly do our magic through short project cycles.  We're a tightly
knit team, we don't work sweatshop hours, we think programming is fun,
and we take great pride in our accomplishments. No wizards who like to
code in a closet need apply.

Our programmers work as a team to design, estimate, create and
deploy. Seniors not only write code, but also work with project managers
to lead the project teams, and help guide the other programmers and the
technical direction of the department.

Application Programmers will have 2+ years of application programming
experience, with web applications a big plus.

Senior Programmers will have 6+ years of application programming
experience, with at least one year of web applications.  Senior
programmers will be fluent in Perl or PHP, understand basic database
design and source code control.  Experience with leading teams or
projects, and experience administering an RDBMS are both pluses.

All programmers must be well-versed in object-oriented design and
coding, have experience writing applications, know HTML and SQL, and be
proficient at using shell-based Linux/Unix as a development platform.
Excellent written and verbal communication is a must.

We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including
medical and dental coverage, a generous 401k plan, profit sharing,
flexible spending plans, full undergraduate tuition reimbursement,
earned time off in the first year and more. We provide a pleasant,
non-smoking office environment in our state-of-the art headquarters and
distribution center in McHenry, Illinois, a far northwestern suburb of
Chicago. We prefer candidates to fax or e-mail resume with cover letter
and salary requirements to:

Follett Library Resources
Attn: Human Resources
1340 Ridgeview Drive