[Chicago-talk] Module::Starter released

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Mon Apr 5 14:14:02 CDT 2004

I've just released Module::Starter 0.02, meant as a replacement for h2xs.

I think h2xs is very out of date as far as current best practices for
modules.  It's also very intimidating for people who just want to create
a module, and have no need for all the compiler hoohah that h2xs throws
at you.  Module::Starter is meant to make things much eaiser.

Here's a sample run of Module::Starter's command-line program:

$ module-starter --module=Foo,Foo::Bar,Foo::Bat \
    --email=andy at petdance.com --author="Andy Lester"

$ find Foo
Foo
Foo/.cvsignore
Foo/Changes
Foo/lib
Foo/lib/Foo
Foo/lib/Foo/Bar.pm
Foo/lib/Foo/Bat.pm
Foo/lib/Foo.pm
Foo/Makefile.PL
Foo/MANIFEST
Foo/t
Foo/t/00.load.t
Foo/t/pod-coverage.t
Foo/t/pod.t

$ cat Foo/Makefile.PL
use strict;
use warnings;
use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;

WriteMakefile(
    NAME                => 'Foo',
    AUTHOR              => 'Andy Lester <andy at petdance.com>',
    VERSION_FROM        => 'lib/Foo.pm',
    ABSTRACT_FROM       => 'lib/Foo.pm',
    PREREQ_PM => {
        'Test::More' => 0,
    },
    dist                => { COMPRESS => 'gzip -9f', SUFFIX => 'gz', },
    clean               => { FILES => 'Foo-*' },
);

Comments are welcome, and expected.

xoa
--