[Chicago-talk] Re: stock charts with perl

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Mon Apr 5 11:13:54 CDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:25:06AM -0700, matt boex wrote:
> Do you have an example of a script that can produce a chart of open,
> high, low, close data?  i have searched for some time through cpan and
> google with no luck.  i have found Finance::Shares but it seems to be
> overkill and very difficult to figure out.  it also creates postscript
> files.

Do you mean a yahoo-like graph [1]?  Alas, I'm not very familiar with
financial data, so I probably can't help you very much. If you need a
continuous X axis the GDGraph-XY [2] add-on to GD::Graph might help.

Otherwise I've been pretty happy with Chart [3] which a coworker discovered
when we ran up against some things we didn't like in GD::Graph. It might
be worth checking out their documentation, which btw is nice because it's
a PDF, and has the examples right there in the docs.

Perhaps a session on generating graphics with Perl might be nice somewhere
down the road?

//Ed

[1] http://ichart.yahoo.com/t?s=IBM
[2] http://search.cpan.org/dist/GDGraph-XY/