[Chicago-talk] Re: stock charts with perl

matt boex chimcentral at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 5 10:25:06 CDT 2004

Ed,

Do you have an example of a script that can produce a chart of open, high, low, close data?  i have searched for some time through cpan and google with no luck.  i have found Finance::Shares but it seems to be overkill and very difficult to figure out.  it also creates postscript files.

i am at the point that i am considering building my own.  any pointers towards doing this as in modules to start with?

matt

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 02:21:00PM -0800, matt boex wrote:
> any opinion as to what modules i should use to build stock charts with.
> i am looking to build open, high, low, close, with possibly volume at the > bottom.

I've had good success with GD::Graph [1] at a previous job, and at my current
job we've used Chart [2], which has a somewhat cleaner look. Unfortunately
(as of 3 months ago) GD::Graph appeared to be more actively maintained than
Chart, since we submitted a patch for some legend placement options, and
never heard back. Also GD::Graph has better support for TrueType fonts.
While it's name doesn't reflect it, Chart uses GD just as GD::Graph does,
but in a perhaps more elegant way. Chart comes with some very nice PDF
documentation however, which is pretty useful for this sort of module.

//Ed

[1] http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?GD::Graph
[2] http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Chart