[Chicago-talk] Stealth Perl Install and then the old swap-a-roo?

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Fri Nov 14 11:15:49 CST 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 10:55:00AM -0600, jason gessner wrote:
> does each version then have it's own set of dependencies and it's own
> separate module collection?  That would be ideal so that I could do
> this incrementally.

Yep, they do. Andy was telling me how he had like 5 different versions
of Perl installed on his laptop so he could thoroughly test Test::Harness.
So it can be done.

> if I install to,. say /usr/local/perl5.8.2 and on the shebang use
> #!/usr/local/perl5.8.2/bin/perl  everything will pull from that
> installation?  What about other utilities (perldoc, etc).  Will i
> simply have to make some 582 aliases?

Yeah, you could make some symlinks, or add /usr/local/perl to your
system PATH, and then symlink /usr/local/perl to /usr/local/perl5.8.2
This way you could have multiple versions installed, and you could flip
between them by simply pointing the symlink at another directory.

//Ed