[Chicago-talk] Java API/Perl revisited

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Thu Nov 13 10:42:34 CST 2003

> - 5.8.1 has a stable threading environment, leaves the rest
>   of Perl syntax usable.

> - Fork and use IPC for the data transfer (perldoc perlipc).
>   Given the way data is handled, setting up a pipe is probably
>   the simplest fix.

I'll read up on perlipc

> - Use a single proc w/ polling select on the socket.

Thought about that, but not really sure how to implement it and provide the
kind of callback interface that may be necessary

> Lincon's Network Programming With Perl addresses this issue
> in lurid detail with a number of interface standards.

I don't have that book.  Wish I could have won that at the meeting :).

Ps read the "learning more perl" (i.e. perl modules... by Randal), thought
it was good, learned a couple of things, but most of it was review

Jay