[Chicago-talk] Java API/Perl revisited

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Thu Nov 13 10:19:24 CST 2003

-- Jay Strauss <me at heyjay.com>

> Hi,
>
> So I've run into hard dead ends trying Inline::Java and Java.pm.  So I'm
> thinking of rewriting the whole vendor thing in perl (they give the java
> source).  My main concern is they start up a separate thread to talk on a
> socket.  I'm currently using Perl 5.6.1 which doesn't (as I understand)
> have threading support.
>
> what are my options to work around the threading stuff?

- 5.8.1 has a stable threading environment, leaves the rest
  of Perl syntax usable.

- Fork and use IPC for the data transfer (perldoc perlipc).
  Given the way data is handled, setting up a pipe is probably
  the simplest fix.

- Use a single proc w/ polling select on the socket.

Lincon's Network Programming With Perl addresses this issue
in lurid detail with a number of interface standards.

                                            +1 888 359 3508