[Chicago-talk] Dynamic method call

Paul Baker pbaker at where2getit.com
Fri Nov 7 10:34:38 CST 2003

On Nov 6, 2003, at 8:30 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Do not use them unless you are trying to emulate a built-in.

If we aren't supposed to use them, then why doesn't it say so in the
docs. I use prototypes to keep users from giving incorrect arguments to
functions. If they provide the incorrect number of arguments, it's
caught at compile time and they can quickly fix it. Without prototypes,
I would need to manually write code to check that they gave the right
arguments, or I could ignore it and then the user could spend much
wasted time trying to figure out why their code is mysteriously not
working the way it's supposed to.

--
Paul Baker

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or
will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom?”
          -- Thomas Jefferson in a letter to John Adams

GPG Key: http://homepage.mac.com/pauljbaker/public.asc